Broccoli, a cancer-fighting superfood, can help reduce hot flashes, slow bone loss, and lower cholesterol. It is a great idea to incorporate broccoli, and all its cruciferous veggie cousins, into your menopause diet. And, what tastier way to eat broccoli than in this nutrient-dense, vegan soup?
Broccoli is rich in isoflavones and lignans, two types of phytonutrients that can have a positive impact on our sleep, our brain health, and even our vaginal wellness. These phytonutrients are not hormones, but they have a welcome balancing effect on our hormones, supporting our well-being and helping protect us from breast-cancer.
And fennel, too, does all the things. It’s great for digestion and reduces constipation, indigestion, IBS and bloating. It can help reduce water retention and regulate blood pressure. As an anti-inflammatory food, it may even reduce the symptoms of asthma and help clear up our skin.
Warm soups are wonderful in the winter, and the practice of Ayurveda would tell you that this soup warms the soul and grounds you at a time when your body really needs it.
All the garnishes here really complete this soup. It’s so satisfying and beautiful with a drizzle of olive oil and a dollop of cashew cream. Super fun to serve to guests.
For more healthy soups, click here.
To find out more about what can help you feel better in menopause, join us for our 12 week course.
- 1 1/2 cups cashew pieces
- sea salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large head broccoli chopped
- 1 bulb fennel roughly chopped
- 2 leaves celery stalks reservefor garnish
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 cups water
- 1 Rapunzel bouillon cube
- cashew cream
- celery leaves
- fresh dill
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a bowl, combine cashews, seas salt and boiling water and let cashews soften.
- Meanwhile, Combine broccoli, fennel, celery, EVOO, parsley, water, and bouillon cube and bring to a boil, with lid on, but allowing steam to escape. Over medium heat and with lid still loosely fit, steam veggies for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. add 1 tsp. salt and remove from heat.
- Puree the cashew and water mixture in a cuisinart or vitamix and set aside.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender or in a blender. Return to heat and boil down a bit if necessary to acquire perfect thickness.
- Garnish bowls of soup with cashew cream, celery leaves, fresh or dried dill, pepper, and EVOO.