Flaxseed for hot flashes! If you are in our Sage+Sisters Sage Menopause Strategies course, you know that you kinda can’t eat too much flaxseed! Freshly-ground flaxseed is one of our top foods for alleviating hot flashes during the menopause years, as women who consume 4 tablespoons of flaxseed have cut in half the number of hot flashes they experience.
Flaxseed is full of protein, fiber and healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which can help regulate our menstrual cycle and keep the vagina lubricated, in addition to reducing our hot flashes.
But sometimes it can seem daunting to get 3-4 Tbsp. of flaxseed in a day. You have hopefully tried our Superwoman Smoothie, where you can easily add in a few Tablespoons of flaxseed. But how else can we add them in?!
These Flax Cookies are another great way. Christy was really excited about creating them. They are so tasty without being overly sweet. Have a couple every afternoon and you’ve upped your flax intake and satisfied your snacking craving without gluten or dairy.
We love the concept that nutrition–what you eat every day to fuel yourself!–can help alleviate symptoms you are having during menopause. This is what we teach in Sage+Sisters: Food Herbs, and Attitude for Menopause.
For another recipe that includes flax seeds, see our Peanut Butter Punch Smoothie.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (ideally raw, organic, milled)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Lily's Chocolate Chips (sugar-free, vegan)
- pinch hemp hearts seeds
- pinch flakey sea salt I like Maldon’s
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the first 6 ingredients, and then press them out to form a square about 8x10”, ½ inch thick. Sprinkle with hemp seeds and press them in a bit. Cut 20 squares and sprinkle with the flakey sea salt. Place on baking sheet and cook about 11 minutes, or until edges are just golden.